The Deputy Senate President held talks with the victims’ families at the At-Taqwa Mosque in the Sabon Fegi area of the Bunkure LGA.
Deputy Senate President, Senator Barau Jibrin, has visited the families of the 16 travellers who were killed in Uromi, Esan North-East LGA of Edo State.
Jibrin arrived at the Bunkure Local Government Area of Kano State on Wednesday to sympathise with the families of the victims.
Disclosing this in a statement, Barau’s spokesman, Ismail Mudashir, said victims hailed from Bunkure, Kibiya, Rano and Garko LGAs. He noted that his principal held talks with the victims’ families at the At-Taqwa Mosque in the Sabon Fegi area of the Bunkure LGA.
“I’m here to sympathise with you over the tragic incident that led to the death of 16 of our brothers last Thursday. May Allah grant them Jannatul Firdaus and quicken the recovery of those injured,” he stated.
“I was worried when the incident happened. I had to call the state governor, security agencies and all stakeholders involved. They swung into action, and so far apart from the 14 people who have been arrested, two more suspects have been nabbed. The state governor, who visited my house in Abuja, has assured me that the state government will support you.”
Barau reassured the families of the deceased hunters that the perpetrators would be brought to book.
In addition to the 14 suspects, he said security agents had nabbed two more persons in connection with the killing of the hunters.
He announced the donation of ₦1m to each of the families of the 16 deceased hunters, totalling ₦16m.
The Deputy President of the Senate said he would sponsor a motion on the matter when the Senate resumes later this month.
Discussion about this post